Friday, February 25, 2011

It's not what you think..

You may be thinking, oh no, she ate that entire jar of peanut butter with a spoon. But I am happy to say that no, it's not what you're thinking.

Unless you were thinking that inside that jar were some delicious overnight oats.
Upon request of my dear friend the waldbillig here is how to make overnight oats, I post this to prevent you from having to scroll through many pages of Google in order to find a combo that makes sense, as I did.

Basically in any overnight oats combo you must have three components in equal ratios. For example 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 cup Greek yogurt. Yogurt can also be substituted for a mashed banana. Beyond those three components you are free to add whatever you wish, pop in the fridge overnight and voila, a filling and yummy breakfast.

I made my oats last night in this Skippy jar as to use up the last of the peanut butter. Because I have run out of Greek yogurt (AH) I took an idea from one the blogs I frequent, I can't remember which, and mashed a banana to substitute. I also mixed in the last of the almond milk and a tablespoon of wheat germ. In the morning I tossed in a handful of Kashi Good Friends cereal. It was so so good and I will definitely be trying this again.

 For lunch I had a Greek Gods cinnamon vanilla orange yogurt, a tangerine, and arugula with a grain mix. Flavored yogurts are a fear food of mine but  this was so good. I've also tried their honey Greek yogurt and it was amazing.

And for an afternoon snack I had oatmeal cooked in vanilla rice milk, a pear, and shredded coconut. Unfortunately this did not keep me full at all.
Does anyone have any tips for making oats more filling?






I am very excited for my NYC trip tomorrow. I want to be able to enjoy the day without letting my ED get in the way. I hope that when we go out to dinner I will be able to pick something that I actually want rather than what my eating disorder deems okay.

I won't be able to post tomorrow but coming Sunday or Monday I will give a synopsis of my trip!
I won't divulge details of what restaurant I am going to or what area I will be in for safety reasons, but when I get home I won't hesitate to share.
I hope all of you have an amazing weekend!

What is your favorite thing to do in NYC?

4 comments:

BecomingBryana said...

The best way to make oats more filling is to add more oats and fat. How much oat do you use? The 1/2 cup dry servings do NOTHING for me, so I eat 3/4 cup each time. I also add in a fruit (like you did) for the volume factor, and add 2 tablespoons of fatty nut butter. The large volume gets me full initially, and the fat keeps me satisfied for hours after.

Have fun en la ciudad de Nueva York manana! (Yup, I'm such a dork) My favorite thing to do is wander around in The Village. I love all the little shops and boutiques. Most of all, that's where the PB&Co sandwich shop is, and the food there is fantastic. Have you ever been?

Haley said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I didn't know if overnight oats were any different.. :)
I'll have to try them soon!

And your combo sounds yummy!
I've wanted to try this Greek Gods yogurt, but I can't find it anywhere :/

How to make oats more filling?
by adding more oats and nut butters! haha.. sorry if this isn't the advice you were looking for. ;)

I hope your NYC trip is awesome! They have such good food there! (based on my watching of Food Network and my one very short visit) ha. I'm jealous!
Yes, don't listen to ED. Listen to your appetite and indulge a little! Have fun :)

<3 Haley

Trying To Heal said...

oh, have fun in NYC! I've only been there for a few hours so i can't wait to see what you do, where you go and what you decide to eat!!! don't let that ED get in your way!!

the Waldbillig said...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so very excited to try out this new marvelous, super-groovy treat!!! And thanks for the shout out too :) I am always so rushed to get to school in the morning that often I am unable to grab anything for breakfast besides an apple or an orange. I think these overnight oats will really help me get a good start each day. New York eh? That sounds like a mighty big adventure! I went there once when I was little and remember having some good food. And just like Haley, Food Network has put it up there in my mind as a city full of food, and good food if you look around! Can't wait to hear about it.

Hayley :)