Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sugar-Free Coconut Chai Cake

So I had put away this recipe after stumbling upon it during my frequent perusings of The Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen and decided that it was a good a time as any to try it out.

I have to admit, by no ones fault but my own, I wasn't ecstatic with the way it turned out.

I made a few adjustments to the recipe:
I didn't have quite enough coconut so I added a bit more oats to compensate.
I used all vanilla extract instead of almond extract as well.
I used a combination of 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all purpose opposed to 1 cup WW and 1/2 cup unbleached white.
I also added in a tablespoon of chai seeds.

Overall the cake was okay, it turned out a bit artificial tasting because of the sugar substitute used and was even a little salty. I wish I had just made the version with sugar but I felt really anxious about the thought of adding extra calories, so I opted to use Truvia.

Oh well, it's still pretty tasty and I'm excited to enjoy a piece with some tea for breakfast.
Bon appetit!

No comments: